SECULAR INSTITUTE OF THE
MAIDS OF THE POOR
The Secular Institute of the Maids of the Poor was founded in India by late Rt. Rev. Conrad D'Vito, OFM.Cap. and first Bishop of Lucknow - U.P. in the year 1951, and spread in other countries.
The Maids of the Poor arrived in Ethiopia in the year 1975 and began to work in Soddo-Hosanna Vicariate. They are involved in Pastoral, Medical and Social Activities.
In 1989 they have opened a House in Addis Ababa, mainly for the Formation and Training of their members.
In 2002 a new House was opened in Pawe - Metekel Zone, where the Maids run a Kindergarten School. A Health Post and a Primary Eye Care Unit has been built and health service has began since 2007.